Bodies in motion need fuel. Before and after exercise, it’s important to feed your body the right balance of carbohydrates, fats and protein. Join this four-week activity to discover the healthiest snacks, including some go-to recipes to satisfy your hunger, fuel your workouts, and aid your body in recovery.
This week, eat a healthy snack before and after each workout:
- Pre-workout snacks. About an hour before your workout, grab a snack with a good balance of simple and complex cabs plus protein for energy throughout your workout. Good choices:
- Turkey + avocado + whole grain bread
- Oatmeal + dried fruit and nuts
- Whole grain toast + a hard-boiled egg
- Apple + almond butter
- Yogurt + granola + fruit
- Post-workout snacks. Within two hours of exercise, protein-packed snacks help rebuild muscle, and carbs help restore energy. A few to try:
- Light tuna salad + whole grain crackers
- Scrambled eggs + veggies
- Banana, peanut butter and chocolate milk shake
- Roasted chicken, squash and apples
- Cottage cheese + whole grain cereal + honey
Record which days you eat pre- and post-workout snacks.