Reader Poll – New Year’s Resolutions
When asked what sort of changes are you planning to make in their lives for next year. Is it time to finally get in shape, or do you want to slow down the hectic pace of your everyday life? Do you want to start a new hobby, or take that trip you’ve always dreamed of? Or maybe you’re happy with the way things are right now!Perhaps not surprisingly, the most popular response (40%) was from those who want to lose weight or get more exercise in the coming year. After all the parties, feasts, and gatherings of the holiday season, many of us will have gained a couple of extra pounds. But it’s not just about losing weight; many of you mentioned other healthy lifestyle changes, or just getting up and moving for the fun of it, without worrying about the numbers on the scale.
- “Stop eating mindlessly at night while watching TV.”
- “Try to incorporate healthier options in favorite dishes.”
- “Run at least twice a week.”
- “Give up adding salt to my food.”
- “Don’t smoke–ever!”
- “Go vegan.”
A few of you are making plans to travel, or spending some time giving back to your community (“Volunteering and contributing to the community in which we live is very fulfilling and a good way to understand just how good you have it!”), while some of you just want to slow down and pay more attention to your families (“Keep good friends and family close because life is too short!”) or your spirituality (“Build stronger faith/getting closer to God.”). Most interestingly of all, almost one quarter of you were satisfied with the way things are in your life, and if you do feel like changing things, you take more of a “one day at a time” approach:
- “I’m happy with life.”
- “I used to make unrealistic resolutions, like losing 20 lbs in a few weeks. When I didn’t see results quickly I’d get frustrated and quit. Now I think, ‘I’m going to eat healthy today and jog 2 miles’. It’s manageable and at the end of the day I feel good because I hit my goal.”
Whatever your plans are for the New Year, we wish you and all of your loved ones a very happy and abundanthly healthy 2015!