4 tbsp olive oil
1 small butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
2 lg carrots, peeled cut into chunks
1 lg parsnip, peeled cut into chunks
1 sm turnip, peeled cut into chunks
1 lg onion, peeled and cut into rings
1 head of garlic, skin removed
1med rutabaga, peeled cut into chunks
4 sm red potatoes, cleaned and cut up
1 lg sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
Sea Salt and fresh ground pepper
3 bay leaves
8 cups low sodium stock, chicken or vegetable
Several basil leaves
1 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 tsp crumbled dried thyme
1 tsp rosemary, fresh if possible
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Pour 1/2 olive oil into bottom of a roasting pan. Place all veggies in the pan and coat with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss bay leaves on top.
- Cover veggies with a layer of parchment and place in the oven for 30 min, then remove parchment, and roast for another 30 min. stir the veggies occasionally to roast them properly.
- Remove veggies, remove any black bits and bay leaves, squeeze the garlic out of its skin, and puree roasted veggies in batches in a food processor or blender. Use the stock to help the process along: adding a cup of stock will make the blending easier.
- Place all pureed veggies in a large soup pan or Dutch oven and set on low heat on the stove. Add remaining stock, basil, cilantro, thyme and rosemary.
- Bring soup to gentle simmer and adjust seasonings. If you find soup too thick, simply stir in more stock and reheat.
Serve in heated bowls with a sprig of rosemary or chives on each bowl for garnish
You can see a new recipe every month in Abundant Health’s Newsletter. It is E-mailed out once a month; if you would like to receive these E-mails please contact us atAngela@AbundantHealthLLC.com